Blood Pressure Checks
Hypertension Case-Finding Service
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is a leading cause of premature death in the UK, affecting 7 million people. One major risk factor is hypertension, with over 5.5 million undiagnosed cases in England alone. Early detection is crucial in reducing complications. Due to COVID-19’s impact on routine monitoring, Alrewas Pharmacy partners with the NHS to provide the Hypertension Case-Finding Service in Burton-on-Trent, offering vital Blood Pressure Checks in Burton-on-Trent.
What is Hypertension?
Hypertension, also known as High Blood Pressure is a common condition whereby the long-term force of blood against your artery walls is high enough that it may eventually cause health severe problems. Unfortunately, Hypertension does not portray any noticeable symptoms and the only way to find out if your blood pressure is high is to have it checked, therefore it is important to get regular checkups from your GP or your nearest community pharmacy that offers Hypertension Case-Finding Service in Burton-on-Trent. If left untreated, it can increase your risk of serious problems such as heart attacks and strokes.
Causes of High Blood Pressure
The causes of high blood pressure are not always clear however you may be at a higher risk if you:
– eat too much salt and do not eat enough fruit and vegetables
– do not do enough exercise
– are overweight
– drink too much alcohol or caffeine-based drinks
– smoke regularly
– are over the age of 65
– are sleep deprived or have disturbed sleep
– have a relative with high blood pressure
– are of black African or black Caribbean descent
– live in a deprived area
How to Reduce Blood Pressure
There are lifestyle changes that you can make that can help prevent developing Hypertension or they may help you reduce it.
– exercise regularly
– monitor your salt intake and drink plenty of water
– increase your fibre intake and always aim to get your 5 a day
– lose some weight (if your BMI is above 25)
– stop smoking
– reduce alcohol & caffeine intake
– focus on getting good sleep
About Our Blood Pressure Checks in Burton-on-Trent
This service works to identify people in our community who are at risk of hypertension. Simply book an appointment to get your blood pressure checked and following the results we will assist in giving you healthy living advice as well as sign-post you to the necessary healthcare professionals if needed.
The following patients are eligible to receive this service:
– Adults 40+ years old who do not have a diagnosis of hypertension
– Adults under the age of 40 with a family history of hypertension (this is at our pharmacist’s discretion and appointment availability)
– Self-requested adults between the ages of 35-39 (this is at our pharmacist’s discretion and appointment availability)
Please note we are unable to provide this service to patients who already have their blood pressure monitored regularly by a healthcare professional.
If you have any questions, please get in touch. If you would like to book an appointment, use the booking form below to do so.